Monday, December 29, 2008

Such a little kid, so much stuff

This morning was sort of an unexpectedly tender moment. I finally took a bunch of tags off the mountain of clothes that our little one has received from family and friends and decided to wash them all (7th generation for sensitive skin) and put them away in his drawers. And it seemed like a simple idea when I started, but somewhere in there I realized I was washing my baby's clothing for the first time and it seemed this wonderful tangible act of caring for him. And it wasn't hard to realize that it was an action I will perform over and over again once he is actually here, eating, spitting up, and pooping all over the place. This first time they got washed on cold gentle cycle, but I suspect they will be up for heartier washing in the future.

I can't believe such a little peanut could acquire such a mountain of stuff. Right now he has a plastic upright of drawers (we're still waiting for the crib and dresser to be on sale or something) and he has pretty much filled them up with clothes already. He was quite a popular little recipient at Christmas this year. It seems as though we already have enough clothes to dress the little guy in a different outfit every day! And although I am trying desperately to be a practical mom who thinks of poopy-blowouts and ease of washing, I am a total sucker for the adorable little outfits people have found for him: monkeys, giraffes, elephants in blues, greens and yellows. Adorable. And so funny to think that I am busy cooking the little body that will someday fill those clothes.

And he also is starting to accumulate a nice bunch of entertainment. Aunt Mary got him a fun Fisher-Price rainforest crib soother so he can press the button and make the monkey swing while soothing classical music is overlaid with rainforest sounds. Wild technology. What did we have as kids? Wind up music boxes in our teddy bears? My sister Bridgette gave the baby a cool Fisher-Price exercise mat for Christmas because she won't be here for the Wisconsin shower: she is a reservist who is shipping out to active duty for 400 days beginning in January.

1 comment:

E. Merritt said...

Since we need to be pretty much prepared at any point to go on bedrest, to the hospital, etc. I've put my parents to work while they are visiting for two weeks. We now have everything in the nursery assembled and all the baby clothes washed and put away. I can relate to your tender thoughts as you washed the clothes today.