In the last 24 hours our son has become a rolling machine. This was all kicked off by a "getting to know you" visit to our new pediatrician here in Nashville on Friday. He was laying on the exam table and I was sitting next to him. She asked if we had any questions and I mentioned that he'd been rolling onto his tummy for about a month and a half, but that he wasn't great at rolling in the other direction. I had seen him do it twice in a row at my mom's house before we left Chicago, but never since.
Literally as I am speaking the little stinker rolls over onto his tummy, looks around, and with absolutely zero fuss at all, rolls right on back onto his back. I was dumbfounded. Kids, they live to make you look bad in front of doctors I suppose.
Now as I sit next to him in the living room he is rolling back and forth all across his play mat.
He is also screeching.
He began "singing" often this weekend. He used to only sing when he was having a good time in his little jumper and he'd really get it going and then he'd start screeching along. It reminded me of people who put the top down in a convertible, hang their head out, and howl to the moon just for kicks. That was Liam in his jumperoo. Terry thought that he liked to sing and shout when he was feeling independent, and the freedom of movement in his jumperoo gave him a sense of independence.
But then yesterday he went grocery shopping with us and was his quiet observant darling little self until we were in line. First he started flirting with the couple behind us. Then when he was sure that they liked him, he decided to give them a real treat. He started singing. It starts with melodic but loud cooing. They smiled and laughed and pretty soon he was rocking out like a heavy metal star. He was smiling and wriggling around and having a great time, but he was screeching. I took him outside the store so he could sing in peace while Terry paid.
This morning as I'm getting ready in the bathroom I hear this crazy screeching coming from our bedroom. And I think to myself: "Our kid is a truly gifted linguist. Instead of English, he has resurrected a long dead non-human language: pterodactyl."
So Terry and I start singing along with the baby and before long we are all rocking out. Terry moves the party into the living room and fires up "Back in Black" by AC/DC. I dance around all crazy, but the baby sits there transfixed, just listening and occasionally smiling at my dancing antics. I like to think he stopped singing out of professional courtesy to another hard rock performer. Then, at the end, Terry got up with the baby and all three of us danced around. Liam started singing along. Good times were had by all.
3 comments:
Too funny. Wish I could have been there to see all that. Sounds like you guys had a blast. I heard Liam screeching yesterday when I was talking to Terry. He's definitely moving it into high gear! You will definitely have to video the next "heavy metal" session of Liam.
Grammy
I have been trying to catch him on video but he is totally on to me! Now when he sees the camera come out (even if I am not looking through it) he stops what he's doing and looks solemnly at it. I'm going to have to get sneakier to capture all his little moments.
Post more photos if you have a chance!
Post a Comment