Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Fickle Tastes of the Pregnant Lady

When Terry and I went out to a fancy dinner for our three year wedding anniversary on monday, I found myself befuddled by the desert menu. Those fruit desserts looked amazing. What was wrong with me? Where was the girl who would get the flourless chocolate torte without so much as a second glance at the cobbler? I realized a truly startling fact: I do not want chocolate right now. In fact, I haven't really wanted chocolate since I got pregnant. Before being pregnant, I couldn't get enough of the stuff. I'd take my chocolate cake with a layer of chocolate ganache, topped with chocolate frosting, with a side of chocolate ice-cream. Never enough. But now? Nah. Not really. It doesn't gross me out, I just don't want it.

I've also discovered, after so faithfully documenting my food cravings from the first ten weeks, how fickle the tastes of a pregnant lady can be. That Asian thing? where for six or eight weeks I just couldn't get enough Thai food? Couldn't eat enough egg rolls? Gone. It is a vague turn-off for me now (although not on the order of my distaste for lettuce, beef, or mexican food). In fact, lately I've become a downright picky eater. The past week or so the only thing I actually want to eat is fresh fruit and toasted bagels with cream cheese. But that seems like a recipe for malnutrition and doesn't really help me get all that stupid protein I'm supposed to be getting. So I choke down some meat and beans and hummus and whatnot. But it is all just a prelude to my true loves: cantaloupe. Nectarines. Grapefruits. Grapes. Berries. Mmmmmm.

The fruit thing seems to pervade all food domains. I'd prefer a chicken dish with some fruity sauce to it than anything else. When it comes to dessert, that formerly sacred domain of chocolate, now I find myself wanting cobbler or tarts. An unopened package of mint Oreos sits atop our fridge. Mint thin Girl Scout Cookies sit unmolested in the freezer. Because I really want to snarf those Newman's Own fig newtons.

I suppose I should be glad, because they are mostly healthy inclinations. But not wanting chocolate seems so unnatural to me it is really unsettling.

No comments: