Monday, November 3, 2008

Voting nerves: what world for the baby?

I know we have both Republicans and Democrats among our friends and families. And I love you all. But today I find myself totally preoccupied with the idea that after the election tomorrow, it will be in some ways a subtle shift, but it has amazing implications. I remember growing up and wanting to be President some day, and feeling that people's responses to this were at best indulgent. Like it was cute but totally unrealistic that as a woman I could ever be President.

If Obama wins, our baby will never know a world where people believe a black man cannot be President of the US. If McCain wins, the baby will never know a world where a woman could not hold some of the highest offices in the land, and be a heartbeat away from the Presidency.

And that is a pretty amazing thing.

No comments: