My first mothers day was a wonderful reminder that I am blessed with an incredible husband and partner, and that together we have the start of an amazing family. When I arrived home on friday night from taking Liam to a meeting of the Sociology Mother's Club (where we planned to watch a movie but really just ate lasagna, drank wine, and jawed about motherhood). When I got to the door there was an awesome little poster with pictures of me and Liam on it, and a list of all the awesome things I was going to enjoy on my Mother's Day weekend. I was getting an entire weekend because Terry was invited to give a job talk at Vanderbilt University for a tenure track position, and the only time they could fly him out was Sunday May 10th.
It was a couple of weeks after this was finalized before we put two and two together and realized that was Mother's Day. Terry was devastated. Definitely more devastated than I was even. He felt terrible leaving me for any part of my first Mother's Day. We had a very nice little moment in the kitchen where I look his face in my hands and reminded him that he is a wonderful husband and father every single day, that he goes out of his way to be an equal parent to Liam, and that in no way was he allowed to feel badly because on one particular date set by Hallmark he might have to miss part of the date because he was out trying to get a job and secure our family's financial future.
The first thing on my list of Mother's Day treats began Friday night, as Terry took the entire night shift and I got to sleep until 7:30 AM for the first time in, ummm, I can't remember.
Then when I went into bed to sleep, I found two presents on my pillow: a Wonder Woman t-shirt and a comic book to enjoy. I crept silently back into the kiddo's room where Terry was lightly snoring on the futon and gave him a giant kiss.
Saturday morning Terry went shopping for food to make an amazing Saturday dinner and Sunday brunch. When he got back from the grocery store he told me that the next part of my treat was to get to go to the gym and work out to my heart's content. When I emerged from the bedroom in my workout gear he told me I got my first present. He gave me a Sigg water bottle, which I have been wanting for a few months.
When I got back, feeling great, I got to sit on the couch and read while I held a sweet little sleeping baby. Terry busied himself in the kitchen making Mario Batali's shrimp scampi over linguini. It was a delicious combination of jumbo shrimp from Whole Foods, soaked in jalapeno pepper, fresh mint, and fennel fronds with a little olive oil thrown in for good measure.
Before dinner he gave me another one of my Mother's Day presents. I told him that I could wait until Sunday morning if he wanted, but he told me he was too excited to wait. I closed my eyes and he gave me a small jewelry box. Inside was a beautiful silver locket. On one side are two tiny baby footprints. On the other side it has Liam's name and birthdate and a frame to put in his little picture. It was so beautiful I started crying. It was exactly what I wanted. I couldn't have picked a better charm myself. And to make it more sweet, it was designed by a mother-owned company. The mom started the company because when her baby was born premature she couldnt find a baby bracelet small enough for him. That little touch with other preemie parents felt extra special.
When I woke up on Sunday morning I once again got to play with the baby while Terry worked his magic in the kitchen. Pretty soon I was being served up crepes. But not just any crepes. He had cooked up fresh blackberries, strawberries and peaches with grand marinier and rum. This sauce was served aside some fresh uncooked fruit. The whole thing was topped off with the most amazing decadent things I've had ever: he whipped creme fraiche with balsamic vinegar and a little sugar. Amazing. Beyond belief good. He tells me it is definitely not healthy. And I tell him it is worth it.
It was a wonderful way to spend my first Mother's Day.
3 comments:
Sounds like an amazing and well deserved weekend! :)
Wow, what a weekend. I am VERY impressed!
Just wondering, what is your feeding schedule like and how do you do the night feeding?
Sound amazing... you have two wonderful men in your life, that's for sure.
Those meals sound delicious... I am having James schedule himself some cooking classes with Terry... :)
Post a Comment