Every week I come up with new reasons to hope that our kid will actually be one of those kids who just magically starts sleeping through the night on his own, so we can eagerly join the ranks of the annoying parents who say "our baby sleeps like an angel."
First I crossed my fingers as our baby approached the 12-13 pound threshold that the American Academy of Pediatrics claimed was when most kids started sleeping through the night. Then I thought he would do it for my parents when we went to Qatar, just to be contrary. Then I hoped that maybe he'd just been holding out to be baptized, and now would sleep blissfully knowing he was washed free of original sin. Then I thought maybe he was just waiting to meet his Aunt Bri and Uncle Jesse. Or maybe he was one of those kids who is a baseball fan from birth, who would dream deeply about Wrigley Field and the Cubbies dramatic win. Nope, nope, no, nada, and nope.
But hope springs eternal. I am presently quite excited that for the first time ever he took a giant mamba jamba feed before bed. He sucked down his standard 4 ounce bottle and was still looking wide awake and a bit peckish, so I asked Terry to fill it up with a bit more. "Just an ounce or two max" I say. But Terry accidentally adds too much water, so he winds up making another 4 ounces, mostly just to be sure we've got the water to formula proportions correct.
And what do you know? The kiddo sucked down another three ounces before he tuckered out, making it a whomping SEVEN ounces in a single sitting. Astonishing. I had to check my math with Terry, not trusting my sleep deprived brain: "Say, if I've got an ounce left in here that makes three. Plus four makes seven right?"
So yeah, fingers crossed. Because have I mentioned that now he only naps for 46 minutes at a stretch? Its weird, eerily precise...he closes his eyes and then BING 46 minutes later his eyes fly open. Critter.
No comments:
Post a Comment