Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day 2009

Erin made my first Father's day rather lovely. I awoke to the smell of homemade waffles, with raspberry sauce and whipped cream. As Erin prepared breakfast, I played with Liam for a little while (who thinks mom and dad dancing is hysterical). I was bouncing him up and down when Erin offered to bring me a hot mug of tea. That seemed like a lovely idea to me so I accepted her pampering. As I was entertaining Liam, she slyly placed a mug of tea in front of me on the table. After a little while of being distracted playing with Liam I noticed the mug on the table -- it was an awesome "Happy First Father's Day" mug, with a collage of great pictures of Liam! Coffee and tea definitely taste better when I'm drinking from that mug--it is like drinking essence of baby!

After my surprise mug, Erin invited me to the dining room to enjoy the tasty deliciousness that was my father's day breakfast. Erin had asked what my favorite breakfast dish was earlier that week, and she delivered with these light and fluffy homemade waffles. Her raspberry sauce really punched up the flavor.

After breakfast I was presented with some more gifts. I unwrapped two t-shirts. One that was an olive green shirt with "THE DAD" stenciled military-style over a red star. Erin knows I rule with an iron fist, so the shirt was appropriate. The other shirt was a "Me 2.0" baseball-style shirt with a white body and navy blue sleeves. Now I can rock out fatherhood in style.

Next Erin surprised me with a round of golf with my other father friends (co-fathers?). She rushed me out the door to meet Chris and Harvey (a soon to be dad) for a father's day round of 18 holes at the Glencoe Golf Club. Erin treated me to a yummy hot dog at the turn, and Chris Harvey and I enjoyed many a light beer and each others' company.

After our round of golf, I had a secret envelope to open giving my directions to the next Father's day event. Based on Erin's drawing of a grill and sketch of a steak, I deduced that we were all going to barbecue at Chris and Gabrielle's place. The afternoon was lovely, hanging out with all the kids and all our spouses as I manned the grill with the other men, cooking the great food that Erin, Gab, and Heather had prepared. We had NY Strip Steaks (covered in olive oil and garlic), grilled asparagus, broccoli slaw, curried sweet potato salad, fruit salad, and topping it off we lubricated the event with margaritas and beer. Then Ellen Berrey showed up with Eli to make the day even more festive. Savino and Eli colored Bella--Chris and Gab's Dalmatian--different colors with sidewalk chalk, and we threw around the mini nerf football with the kids. Tasty food and great company with our good friends.

It was truly the perfect first father's day, a celebration of manhood (golf, barbecue, and beer) and a celebration of family. Let's hope that I'm lucky enough to enjoy many more Father's days like this from here on out. I could get used to this holiday! Many thanks to Erin for making the day so special with all my surprises and her thoughtfulness. She's the best wife and mother a guy could ask for as a partner.

No comments: