Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Chicago Architecture Tour

I've wanted to do the Chicago Architecture Tour since I was in college. It just seems like one of those things that even the locals do and rave about. So one weekend when my mom and dad were in town, we all drove downtown to take the river cruise.

The first big shock was that while we were standing in line (with Liam napping in the moby wrap strapped to my chest) one of the workers comes up to me and explains that we actually have to pay for a full priced ticket for Liam or they won't let us on the boat. She says it in a really nice, "please don't shoot the messenger" tone. If she wasnt so nice (and so not at fault for the policy) I would have fallen over incredulous. It was just so patently ridiculous. But she went with me to the ticket window, and advocated on our behalf, saying that because I was wearing him and he wasnt taking up space, they should comp the ticket. Eventually the ticket window guy agreed, but boy would I have been pissed to put out all that cash for a not-yet-6-month-old kid to go on the tour! They really ought to warn people about that on their webpage. It would have been cheaper and easier for us to just hire a babysitter for that time.

The tour wound up being fun and interesting, and it was a good time spent with Grandma and Grandpa Schultz. I was glad to check another Chicago classic off my "to-do" list.


It was a sunny day, so we experiment with some sunglasses (he is confused by them).
Grandma and Grandpa Schultz were there too!
We got to hear more about the history and architectural theory of some of Chicago's landmark buildings.
Liam was "supposed" to nap while I wore him in the moby wrap, but instead he got all interested in looking around and wouldn't sleep, but being tired and hot made him crabby, so I took him downstairs where it was cooler.
Totally pooped out.

No comments: