After he was fast asleep, we watched "Phoebe in Neverland" (which was amazing, you can stream it on netflix). I went in to check on Liam and this is what I found...
| Liam, proving he's finally mastered rolling from back to tummy. |
And when I put him in his crib for a nap the next morning, the first thing he did was flip right over.
| Self proscribed tummy time. |
He will now do it pretty regularly. Yesterday at Ravinia he rolled over on the picnic blanket to get a better look at Sian, Ian, Dustin and Becky.
But the big problem is that he does it all the time at night. It makes me nervous as heck after reading an article on how "unaccustomed tummy sleep" puts a kid at nine times greater risk of SIDS. And while the risk drops off around 6 months, it still happens up to one year. And often as he sleeps on his tummy his face is pointed towards his mattress, which makes me worry he won't get enough air (one theory on what causes SIDS). So last night, for example, I caught him tummy sleeping four times and rolled him gently back onto his back.
Today when the peds office opens we'll check in on whether I'm worrying unnecessarily. And we'll practice tummy time hoping he learns to roll back from his tummy to his back.
Update: I called the pediatrician's office today. The nurse tells me that until he can roll himself back over onto his back at will, we are supposed to use some kind of sleep positioner. So right now he's got tightly rolled receiving blankets strapped to either side of his trunk (using his swaddler) to keep him in place on his back, and we're redoubling rolling efforts during the daytime.
No comments:
Post a Comment