Thursday, July 23, 2009

Liam Learns to Eat Rice Cereal

Our pediatrician, Dr. Andy, told us to check it with him by phone when Liam turned five months old so we could talk about how he was doing with sleeping (not well at the time) and about possibly starting some solid foods. Dr. Andy gave us the go-ahead to start him on rice cereal very thinned with formula. We gave him a little bit at first to help him get used to the taste and texture and process of eating with a spoon. He looked horribly affronted at first, but eventually came around to the idea. Which was a good thing, because doing well with the rice cereal was the condition for moving onto more exciting foods.

Rice cereal, at first:
So let me get this straight, the rice cereal is meant to improve my complexion, right? Like an oatmeal facemask or something?

So this inconvenient metal thing goes in my mouth and then what? where's the tasty milk? This is a strange new system you people have dreamed up.


But eventually:
Okay, I get it. You want most of this stuff inside my mouth.

I like holding the spoon myself. Rice cereal makes me happy (and sleep through the night!)

Yeah, I'm awesome. I got this spoon thing covered.

No comments: